Grand Rapids police chief recruitment process underway
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan – A statewide recruitment is currently underway to select the next Grand Rapids Police Chief.
The recruitment firm Public Sector Search & Consulting Inc released its candidate profile and application instructions on Friday.
The application deadline is December 10th and interested parties should send a comprehensive cover letter, résumé and reference list to [email protected]
Recruiters gathered suggestions from both the community and the Grand Rapids police force on the qualities and characteristics they would expect in an ideal candidate.
The profile published in the online brochure states that:
“Grand Rapids is looking for someone with strong leadership skills and a collaborative approach to solving problems. In addition to being successful, the most qualified candidates will be well prepared to tackle a number of important issues including neighborhood police, departmental personnel, the police agency’s relationship with the Office of Public Accountability, and the use of evolving technology. Top candidates have an outstanding career in a metropolitan area or a comparable city and are known for their committed yet personable style. The selected candidate also has excellent communication and change management skills. “
Input from the community showed that people want a chief who:
- Be a person who is compassionate, empathetic, respectful, honest, ethical, and has the highest level of integrity
- Greet and celebrate the diversity of the entire Grand Rapids community and its unique neighborhoods
- Have the ability to form strong and authentic connections with a complex community
- Be a personable, yet professional, boss who is culturally intelligent and committed to an active model of policing and engagement
- Be a progressive reformer with the ability to implement innovative ideas from the community and department members
- Implement changes that drive better service delivery to all neighborhoods and residents
- Quickly identify issues and build consensus on how to advance the department’s strategic priorities as you work with city leaders, community stakeholders, and police unions
- Be a strong leader and decision maker who is transparent in their communications (both internal and external)
- Stand up for what is best for the community and department
- Always have full transparency about short-term public relations considerations
- Embody a philosophy of openness and expect the same from your senior management team
- Build trust at all levels of the department
The best qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process starting next month, with the three or four best finalists being invited to Grand Rapids for the final selection process.
Officials say the final selection process will include a public engagement opportunity, which will be announced more closely at this time.
The finalists will be interviewed by several panels that will provide feedback to City Manager Mark Washington, who will appoint the next police chief.
The city is hoping that the new boss will start in late January or early February.
The maximum salary for the position is currently $ 160,000 – under review and negotiation.