Bedford officials cite “insufficient evidence” in ending the investigation into racial ridicule against Pioneer football players

ANN ARBOR – Temperance Bedford Public Schools has closed its investigation into the alleged racist incident that occurred earlier this month during a junior varsity soccer match against Ann Arbor Pioneer.

According to a report by The Monroe News on Friday, Bedford told Superintendent Dr. Carl Shultz, the investigation was closed because of insufficient evidence.

Shultz told The Monroe News that AAPS administrators contacted the Bedford Sporting Director last week to provide additional information that could help Bedford investigate further, but there wasn’t enough information to continue the investigation.

“Without hearing any racist or other comments from officials or coaches, the investigation was closed because of insufficient evidence,” Shultz told The Monroe News.

On Thursday September 2, Bedford junior varsity players were accused of calling Ann Arbor Pioneer players the N-word during their competition, leading to Pioneer chief varsity coach Jimmy Williams opposing the varsity game Bedford abandoned on September 3 in protest of the alleged incident.

Shultz told MLive during a phone interview earlier this month that Bedford needed additional information from AAPS in order to continue its investigation into the allegations.

Shultz also told MLive that he does not deny Pioneer’s claims but that he needed more information to complete Bedford’s investigation at the time.

“I will never deny that there is no way that these types of allegations are true,” he said during the interview with MLive. “I know that it is absolutely possible, but I also know that it is actually what was said just because it heard or thought it heard something.

“What I know is that I need more information. I cannot suspend a student on a he-said-he-said allegation. I need a little more information and that’s what we’re looking for and maybe we’ll get it. But at this point we need to move forward with the information we have. “

Williams postponed comment on the situation to AAPS on Monday morning, and messages requesting further comments were also left on Monday morning with AAPS communications director Andrew Cluley and Shultz.

MORE:

Ann Arbor Public Schools is investigating allegations that pioneer soccer players were the targets of racial ridicule

Ann Arbor Pioneer skips the college soccer game on allegations that Bedford JV used racist taunts

Comments are closed.