The Lansing Fire Department provides safety tips to protect against carbon monoxide

LANSING, Michigan (WILX) – Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is known as an “invisible killer” because it is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas.

Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know they are exposed. The first symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to flu.

They include:

  • a headache
  • Fatigue
  • shortness of breath
  • nausea
  • dizziness

The Lansing Fire Department says CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside of each sleeping area and on each level.

For the best protection, plug in all CO alarms throughout the house. When you sound, everyone sounds.

There are CO alarms that can be connected. Others are battery operated and also function as smoke detectors. These should be tested once a month.

When your alarm goes off, the fire department will ask you to go outside and call the fire department.

Below are some other ways to prevent carbon monoxide from getting in your home.

  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not leave a vehicle or any other fuel or engine running indoors, even with the garage doors open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a moving vehicle is not covered in snow.
  • During and after a snow storm, make sure that the ventilation slots for the dryer, oven, stove and fireplace are free of snow.
  • A generator should be used outdoors in a well-ventilated location, away from windows, doors, and vents.

Copyright 2021 WILX. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather direct to your email every morning.

Comments are closed.