Tampa Night Briefing: January 28, 2021
Good evening, Tampa Bay. We’ll end the day for you with the most important stories you need to know and your weather outlook.
Your weather planner
Take your jacket with you when you step out the door as it gets cold. Temperatures start in the 30s and 40s and get warm in the afternoon until the 60s. It doesn’t get that windy and the sun shines all afternoon.
Forecast for tomorrow
|Lows: 30s and 40s
A cool start
Klystron 9 Radar | Neighborhood radars
The great stories of today
1. The Tampa Mayor issues a mask mandate during Super Bowl week
Tampa Mayor Jane Castor issued an ordinance Thursday that requires masks to be worn outdoors in certain locations around the city during Super Bowl week.
2. First cases of a COVID-19 variant identified in South Africa in the USA
Two cases of the COVID-19 variant first identified in South Africa were discovered in South Carolina, the first time the variant was discovered in the United States.
3. NFL Green Week begins with planting fruit trees
It’s NFL Green Week and as part of it, about 40 different fruit trees will be planted Thursday at the Mango Recreation Center in Hillsborough County.
4. Biden is likely to keep Space Force, a Trump favorite
Up until the last moments of his presidency, Donald Trump trumpeted the Space Force as a creation for the ages. And while President Joe Biden has been quick to roll back other Trump initiatives, the space service seems likely to survive even if the new administration puts it on the list of defense priorities.
5. University of Florida study shows children are more likely to spread COVID in households
Researchers from the University of Florida have teamed up with researchers from China to analyze the spread of COVID-19 in households. Their findings include: An age group less prone to the virus may be more likely to spread it.
6. GameStop stocks drop sharply as Robinhood restricts transactions to multiple stocks
GameStop’s shares fell sharply on Thursday, falling as much as 50% from record highs. The move came amid the popular Robinhood stock trading platform, which abruptly restricted transactions in a number of stocks, including GameStop.
Your notes for that evening and Friday
- TAMPA TRAFFIC: The outer lane to the west of West Kennedy Boulevard is closed between North Hesperides Street and North Trask Street while the Tampa Water Department works to repair a major water break. The completion of the work with a return to normal traffic patterns is expected on Friday 29 January at 6:00 p.m.
- STATE FAIR NOTE: If you were curious about the 2021 fair it got a little clearer today. The official new dates for the Florida State Fair 2021 are April 22nd through May 2nd. More COVID-19 updates.
- BACK ON THE ICE: The Tampa Bay Lightning takes on the Carolina Hurricanes in Lansing tonight at 7pm.
- The annual March for Life practically takes place on Friday. A small group of activists will speak in Washington DC
- The New York Press Club is hosting a Virtual Speaker Series event featuring Dr. Anthony Fauci
- The Office of Public Engagement will meet with nearly 100 presidents of historically black colleges and universities to discuss Biden’s COVID relief proposal
In case you missed it
A Hernando County man who is no stranger to giving back to his community has a Super Bowl ticket up for grabs.
Omar Gosh celebrates an NFC championship win for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with two tickets to the historic Super Bowl.