MTU Volleyball Advances in NCAA Tourney – Friday Sports Wrap
In high school hockey last night, Jeffers versus Kingsford – no report.
On the hockey schedule tonight …
• Houghton welcomes Traverse City Central. Coverage begins at 6:40 am on the voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet maintains Hartland. The coverage begins at 6:40 am on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Tomorrow in ice hockey …
• Houghton receives Hartland. The coverage begins at 12:40 p.m. on the voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Jeffers entertains Manistique at 1:00 am.
• Hancock is hosting Traverse City Central at 1:00 am.
In girls’ basketball last night …
• Calumet ground Iron Mountain 78-36. Four Copper Kings scored double digits, led by Laina Kariniemi with 17. Marybeth Halonen racked up 10 rebounds.
• L’Anse borders Lake Linden-Hubbell 52-49. Taylor Sanregret led the Purple Hornets with 24 points. Emily Jokela scored 21 for the Lakes, who ended the game due to a foul problem with four players on the field.
On the girls program tonight …
• Houghton is hosting Ishpeming.
• Hancock tips Jeffers.
• Baraga travels to Ontonagon.
• Trips from Chassell to Watersmeet.
The runner-up Michigan Tech volleyball team defeated seventh-seeded Wayne State 3-2 (25-16, 25-20, 18-25, 19-25, 15-8) in the opening game of the NCAA tournament yesterday. Anna Jonynas led the huskies with 21 kills. Laura De Marchi finished the race with 45 assists and set a new GLIAC career record. Tech will meet Hillsdale in the regional semi-finals at 5:00 p.m. this afternoon at Big Rapids. The Huskies beat the Chargers 3-0 in their previous encounter this season. Host Ferris State meets Missouri-St. Louis in the other regional semifinals.
Northern Michigan University women’s basketball team opened their GLIAC campaign last night with a 77-69 win at Northwood University. The men’s team of the Wildcats fell to the Timberwolves 81-72.
Both MTU Hoops teams will play in Northwood tomorrow.
Finlandia’s men’s basketball team plays at the University of Northwestern in Saint Paul tonight and North Central tomorrow.
Finlandia women’s team has the weekend off.
The Michigan Tech hockey team skates in Minnesota State tonight and tomorrow night.
The NMU hockey team is entertaining Minnesota Duluth tonight and tomorrow.
Finlandia’s men’s and women’s teams are playing in Lake Forest this afternoon and tomorrow.
The Calumet Wolverines open their season with games in Nevada tonight and tomorrow night. The wolves were invited west by the Reno Ice Raiders. About 20 Calumet players will make the journey, along with a few coaches.
The Detroit Red Wings will entertain the New York Islanders tomorrow. The coverage begins at 6:45 a.m. at 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons’ winless streak reached eight last night, with a 114-103 loss to the Phoenix Suns. Jerami Grant scored 34 for Detroit.
The pistons are off until Monday when they host the Oklahoma City Thunder.
In last night’s NFL game, the Dallas Cowboys overtook the New Orleans Saints by 27:17. Saints quarterback Taysom Hill threw four interceptions.
• The Green Bay Packers have the weekend off.
• The Detroit Lions entertain the Minnesota Vikings in a 1:00 am game. Listen to it on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Denver Broncos visit the Kansas City Chiefs for Sunday night competition. Listen to it on 99.3 The Lift.
The Toledo Mud Hens have a new manager. Veteran smaller league skipper Gary Jones will take over Tom Prince, who was fired in October despite leading Detroit’s top farm team to a division title.
A Global Fatbike Day celebration will take place tomorrow on the Maasto Hiihto and Churning Rapids Trails. The informal poker ride includes five stops along the way, plus light refreshments and a couple of bonfires. Drivers should check in at 1:00 AM and group rides start at 1:30 PM. The money raised will be used to support the piste preparation efforts this winter. For more details click here.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts
• Tonight – High School Hockey – Hartland at Calumet – Reporting at 6:40 am on Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tonight – High School Hockey – Traverse City Central, Houghton – 6:40 am coverage of the voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Morning – High School Hockey – Hartland, Houghton – 12:40 PM coverage of the voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – High School Hockey – Marquette in Calumet – Reporting at 6:40 am on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – High School Girls’ Basketball – Houghton at L’Anse – Coverage around 7:00 am on Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and results to [email protected]