Man pleads guilty to murder from 2019 Grand Rapids fireworks show

Police said a crowd of 200 to 300 teenagers went downtown to fight that night.

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan – One of the suspects in the shooting of 20-year-old Saul Espinoza after the July 4th fireworks show in Grand Rapids has agreed to a plea deal.

Espinoza was killed in Fish Ladder Park on July 6, 2019. He was one of four people who were shot dead during the show.

According to the Kent County Attorney General, Ulises Ferrer has agreed to plead guilty to the murder and faces a minimum sentence of 30 years.

Assistant Police Commissioner Eric Payne of the Grand Rapids Police Dept. said a crowd of 200 to 300 teenagers went downtown that night to fight. Three youths were arrested, their ages ranged from 13 to 19 years.

A video of the fight was shared on Facebook showing a crowd in front of the LOVE sculpture on Monroe Avenue NW across from Rosa Parks Circle. The video shows how the group pushes each other and at some point kicks someone on the floor.

A second suspect, 19-year-old Oscar Urtiz-Esquivel, was found guilty last month and is due to be convicted Thursday.

Police believe a third suspect has fled the country.

Make it easy for yourself to keep up to date with more stories like this one. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.

Do you have a news tip? Send an email to [email protected], visit our Facebook page or Twitter. Subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Comments are closed.