Want to save lives? Basic EMT course on offer in Traverse City
TRAVERSE CITY – A basic emergency medical course will be offered at the Foster Family Community Health Center in Traverse City from October 18 to April 9, 2022.
The EMT basic training offers an introduction to the rescue service. This course lays the solid foundation for a career in the rescue service and is a necessary prerequisite for further training as an advanced EMT and paramedic.
The course is approved by the Michigan Department of Community Health and covers preclinical care, including oxygen, bleeding control, and C-spine immobilization.
In addition to the 260 hours of scheduled class time, a minimum of 48 hours of clinical observation time is required.
Before the course, participants must:
• Obtain CPR certification from either an American Heart Association health care provider or an American Red Cross professional ambulance service. For those with a current certificate, it cannot expire before the end of the EMT course.
• Provide evidence of hepatitis B vaccination (or about to receive the vaccination) or a signed rejection form.
• Provide evidence of an MMR vaccination (measles, mumps, rubella) and a current flu vaccination.
• Provide proof of professional liability insurance that you received from your agency sponsor or a commercial insurance company.
• Submit proof of high school diploma or GED.
• Complete the Health professions basic entrance test To be arranged prior to the start of the course at the Munson Regional EMS Education Office. This is not required if attendees can demonstrate a semester of college English and math.
Classes take place on Mondays, Thursdays and some Saturdays from 5.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. To enroll, go to munsonhealthcare.org/clinical-education/ems-education/emtb-emt-training.
The maximum enrollment is 24 students. Munson reserves the right to cancel classes if there are fewer than 10 students. Payment is due no later than the first evening of the course, unless prior agreement has been made. Full scholarships are available.
For more information or questions, please contact Munson Regional EMS Education Manager Robert Rudzki at 231-935-7832 or [email protected]