Charges against Detroit protesters for summer demonstrations dropped by judge
DETROIT (FOX 2) – – Charges against 20 protesters who took part in demonstrations in Detroit that summer were dismissed on Monday.
The judge charges protesters in Detroit over summer demonstrations
Numerous demonstrators were arrested or cited during protests sparked by the murder of George Floyd last summer. More than 300 cases have been turned away. The Detroit Legal Department voluntarily dropped most of them. Only a handful is left.
David Cripps, one of the attorneys she represents, says the city did not provide due process.
“They couldn’t articulate who or what officers made the arrest, couldn’t provide us with detection, couldn’t provide us with bodycam footage in addition to what we saw, to be the constitutional violations of the arrest of those who only protested, “said he said.
“It is a fight that must be fought. We will continue to work with our lawyers to ensure justice is guaranteed and the charges are dropped as they should be,” said activist Jordan Weber.
Weber is a leader in the Detroit Will Breathe activist group that led the protests.
The court last week dismissed her offense allegations for disorderly behavior and obstruction by pedestrians.
“It hangs over my head, it will follow me for a long time, so I’m really happy that they were released,” Weber said. “We all decided to fight it together – and I’m glad we did.”
Numerous demonstrators were arrested or cited during protests sparked by the murder of George Floyd last summer.
More than 300 cases have been turned away. The Detroit Legal Department voluntarily dropped most of them. Only a handful is left.
“The city’s legal department has targeted a small group that you might consider a leader or an organizational leader,” Cripps said.
Detroit City attorney Lawrence Garcia says the legal department “is still pursuing cases that we believe are warranted by the circumstances of each case.”
The National Lawyers Guild offered protesters free legal representation.
A protester was arrested downtown by Detroit police last summer.
“For the most part, everyone I have come into contact with and listened to are conscientious young people who have seen the dangers of excessive police force and the unjustified brutality that African Americans in our society have used in arrests,” Cripps said. “These people even stepped forward in danger for themselves to express their conscience.”
Detroit Will Breathe filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Detroit last August. Detroit City Council recently approved additional funding to combat this lawsuit at the request of the Mayor, which includes a counterclaim against the group. This counterclaim is still pending.
Crimes and misdemeanors continue to face crimes and misdemeanors in Shelby Township after Detroit Will Breathe protested there in late October.